Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Winning with the 2014 Chess Team!

Pictured below... The 2014 St. Ethelreda Chess Team led by our 5th grade teacher, Mr. Luster.


The Chess Team rocked at the Lane Tech Chess Tournament last weekend (link):

  • Our St. Ethelreda squad finished 4th out of 23 teams competing. Awesome!
  • With more than 100 players participating, 3 St. Ethelreda team members finished in the top 25: Amani M, Elijah W, and Torrance H.
  • And Amani M. finished 1st overall... ahead of more than 100 players, with a perfect match record. WOW! 

I asked Mr. Luster about how he likes leading the team. "I love it. I personally enjoy chess. It's wonderful to see my students improving and growing in confidence with each practice and tournament."



Some insight from team members:
  • Valandria S (8th grade) - "I joined at the recommendation of a friend. They told my they enjoyed it. And I agree!"
  • Shane S - "My Dad is a chess master, and I wanted to learn more like him."
  • I asked Jeremiah W (4th grade) if he could beat me in a game of chess: "Oh sure!"
You can see all the Chess Team photos here on flickr:
St. Ethelreda 2014 Chess Team photo album

Thank you Mr. Luster and our great St. Ethelreda Chess Team!
Finally, the Chess Team with their game faces on, intense and ready for the next game.


1 comment:

  1. Awesome Job Mr. Luster and the Chess team. You guys did great! Mrs. Leonard

    ReplyDelete